Monday, November 2, 2015

THE NEW TRIER WEST RECORDING JAZZ ENSEMBLE - CONQUEST IN TIME



June 1973, the New Trier West High School jazz ensemble performed a concert in which they played Frank Zappa's 'Peaches En Regalia'. It got recorded and released the very same year by the school as a private release.

I remember reading about this album in Nobbie's Zappalog. The album got mentioned but he did not have all the data. Years (and I mean 'years') later, I got some extra info (and the above picture of the album cover) from Hans-Peter Schmidt who had been able to acquire a copy.
I contacted the school and I even exchanged e-mails with someone who had worked on the project. They told me that they could hardly remember the project as they had done so many...
Anyway, I was finally able to obtain a copy a couple of weeks ago. Happy me.

The ensemble plays a fine version of Zappa's most famous tune. Re-arranged and very nice.

Another fine addition to The Others Of Invention.
http://www.united-mutations.com/z/frank_zappa/fz_ooi_albums.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment