Sunday, June 12, 2011

RONNIE WILLIAMS

Ronnie Williams introduced Frank Zappa to Paul Buff in 1960. His contributions can be found on a couple of early Zappa recordings.

According to the liner notes in The Lost Episodes, there was no contact with Frank until 1975 when Ronnie showed up to a concert in Pomona. After requesting the "song about the boogers" he was invited on stage. 

Bo Salisbury was an eyewitness:
"I remember it as plain as day. Frank looked down after the request was shouted out, laughed and said something like, "It's Ronnie Williams!" As I recall, he was in the center, about 6-8 rows back, and Frank invited him up on stage... Denny Walley was playing bottleneck most of the night on a Telecaster, took it off and handed it over to Ronnie. They played the song, the audience cheered, Ronnie gave the Telecaster back to Denny and the show moved forward. It was great."

-- info from Bo Salisbury

3 comments:

  1. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE RONNIE WILLIAMS IS I PLAYED WITH RONNIE WILLIAMS IN THE EARLY We had a band the fydallions 1960S.We played on TV .We also recorded a song called in mexico at a radio station the song is called [a thousand miles from nowhere] its on outer galxie records a 45 rpm blck and white lable very rare.We payed a lot in mexco at the banjo bar and the black and tan. we also played at fort polk .My name is terry brooks.I went to viet nam never got a lead on where he is.my web. www. terrybrooksandstrange.com. ronnie is a awsome guitar player but more than that he is my brotherwe played bluse in the uas and went in to mexcico and played untill daylight . We love everyt second of that time . nothing matterd to ronnie and i but the tone. Please some one let me know about my pal.terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. i played in a band with ronnie williams 1960s called the fhydallions.we recorded a song together titled a thousand miles from no where its on outer galaxie records.we traveled and played clubs and alarge concert hall in fort polk early 60s we also played on a tv show, and played south of the border in mex at the banjo bar and the black and tan, i went to viet nam and lost contact with my brother ronnie williams we loved playing bluse and jazz man ronnie could burn it up.some please let me know if my pal is aiive and well.thank you terry brooks www.terrybrooksandstrange.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could someone point the above request to[ Denny Walley guitar]play thanks. I am still hope some one can tell me something about RONNIE WILLIAMS GUITAR MASTER.IT SEAMS NO ONE KNOWS ANTHING ABOUT THIS GREAT PLAYER. THANK YOU WITH RESPECT
    TERRYBROOKSANDSTRANGE.COM

    ReplyDelete